Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Dr. 'Meesai' I.S. Murugesh



Did you know that Meesai Murugesh played with Shakti band? I am bowled over by this discovery on the web. Basically I was listening to this old Shakti concert
At some point in the concert, John McLaughlin introduced a percussionist Murugesh as one of the greatest living percussionists. I was puzzled and a little bit of googling revealed that this guy was none other than our own Meesai Murgesh, who I knew was a crazy innovator who could make a zillion sounds and also play the thavil. His flair for comedy was showcased in a couple of Balachander movies but this new info just blows my mind!
Another Shakti concert where Murugesh played

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes true. I have seen couple of his programs on TV, this was long time back but he makes sound out of almost anything.